Tuesday, December 7, 2010

About SacramentoHusker

Okay - a little bit about me. This post will be boring, I'm sure, but please stick around! I'm a UNL alum, class of 2000. For those who went to school with me, my nickname in the Engineering Department was "California" as assigned to me by Professor Chou. I've been married for a couple of years and have an 18 year old stepson and 18 month old daughter (ages correct as of December 2010).

While at UNL, I played a little rugby, worked for the marching band, and occasionally took my talents to South Beach (well, in 1996 and 1997, at least). As a student employee of the band, I received press passes for every home game and all championship and bowl games, which allowed me to take shoeboxes full of Nebraska football photos from the sidelines, and to be mocked as that guy who was on the sidelines moving stuff around for the band. Hey, I didn't have to pay for tickets to a game for three years, got to go to all the bowl games for free, and traveled to three or four away games each year for free, too. Not a bad gig for moving a ladder around.

The first game I attended was the 1990 Fiesta Bowl in which Florida State thrashed Nebraska 41-17. My main memory of that game is the fake punt in the first quarter, which was promptly followed by my dad taunting the FSU fan seated in the adjacent section, which was followed by three and a half quarters of humble pie as the Seminoles beat on Nebraska like Ike on Tina. We ducked out of there before the end of the game, my dad leading the way while listening to the jeers of the FSU fan. Looking back on it, I realize that I didn't want to leave, but my dad did. He's never been one to watch the Huskers, simply because he thinks it will kill him eventually. I happen to agree, especially after these last few years.

Anyhow, the first game I remember is the 1987 Game of the Century II, which was a fitting introduction to Husker football. Lots of hype, huge expectations, followed by an abrupt crash landing back to reality as another choke job gets filed in the annals of Husker lore. Let's just say that while I enter every game thinking the Huskers will win, any sign of weakness or an opponent's lead makes me nervous. Really, really nervous.

That's a little history of my fan roots and of my family. You'll learn more about me as I post more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment