Sunday, January 16, 2011

Change? Not before February 3.

A lot of folks, myself included, have wondered if, or when, Shawn Watson will be gone from the Husker football program. I won't claim to even have the slightest clue as to what is going on in the Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex, but I do know a bit about how businesses and teams work, so I have one theory as to how change might happen on the offensive sideline. The theory is just an answer to a question, though: if Watson is on his way out, why wasn't he fired after the Holiday Bowl?

First, we know that Shawn Watson is a very good recruiter, and is responsible for bringing quite a bit of talent to Lincoln over the last several years. We also know that Bo Pelini is most concerned with results on the field. He has a bit of a dilemma on his hands, though. Does he keep Watson around as offensive coordinator and keep his recruiting skills, or does he kick Watson out in an effort to rebuild the offense and lose some recruits in the process? I think he'll do both.

Watson, if he's going to be let go, will be let go after the signing day for National Letters of Intent, which is on February 2. What happens after he's let go, though, is anyone's guess. Who would replace him? Barney Cotton? Not if Bo knows what's good for him. As I detailed in a previous post, Barney isn't putting together a power offense any time soon. Rich Rod? I jokingly said in an email to my college buddies that I needed an outlandish statement from my friend Brian. He said that Rich Rod should be the next offensive coordinator at Nebraska. On the surface, this sounded ridiculous, until he pointed out that Taylor Martinez would fit in his offense perfectly. Then I thought about NCAA violations and realized that TO would never go for it. Couple that with the fact that I can't stand Rich Rod, and I really don't want him to come to Nebraska.

Who does that leave?

Mike Leach? His pass attack is fun, but it wouldn't fly at NU. Also, we really don't need two huge egos in the same building. I can't see Leach and Bo getting along at all.

Gus Malzahn? He's not leaving Auburn without a truck full of cash, and TO's not parting with that any time soon.

Norm Chow? I doubt he's going to leave sunny LA for Nebraska.

Jim McElwain? That's a possibility, actually. He might leave Alabama if the right offer came along. If he's a bit ego driven, it must be tough being behind Nick Saban and forced into the "one voice" approach that Saban uses for Bama's media relations. I kind of doubt, though, that NU would be able to lure him away.

So who will lead the offense? NU needs someone who can coach a smashmouth style to suit the Big 10. NU need someone who understands the mindset of Nebraska's dedication to excellence both on and off the field. NU needs someone who is creative with an old-school flair. Most of all, though, Nebraska needs someone who will give the listless offense an identity and a boost. I think it's obvious: Nebraska needs Tom Osborne as its next offensive coordinator.

I'm not joking. How incredible would a team led by Bo Pelini's defense and Tom Osborne's offense be? Would TO willingly step into a coaching role, though? He probably can't be both athletic director and offensive coordinator, so which would he choose if given the opportunity? Would he get Alberts away from UNO and into UNL? Maybe promote from within and give Bob Burton a shot? I don't know - it's Perlman and Osborne's call. All I know is that this needs to happen. Fast. I have a son entering college in the fall and he doesn't remember Nebraska ever winning a conference title, let alone a national title.

No comments:

Post a Comment